Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Social Media’s Prolific Power

A dear friend of mine, Laura Weisser, has started gaining popularity among the Atlanta online elite. This blogger and Yelper has made a great name for herself in the foodie community of Atlanta. She’s a regular at UYEs (that’s Unsolicited Yelp Events for common diners such as you and me) and Laura is always on the lookout for the next big food find to write about.

For instance, Laura’s prowess for social media has landed her a couple of unique opportunities. Fado gave her a free happy hour to come and sample the new menu – just because of her Yelp post. Bob Steele Salon is gearing up to bring her on to help with its social media strategy (you can read her review of the salon here http://www.yelp.com/biz/bob-steele-salon-atlanta). Then on Saturday she’s heading to a UYE Chinese New Year lunch with her new Yelp friends.

 Aside from Laura, I think about the other opportunities social media has presented us in the recent years. The social revolution underway in Egypt is a prime example of the powerful impact of new media.  Also think about the little things. I got my current job at AutoTrader Classics through LinkedIn. In 2008, Adagio Teas sent Kevin (my handsome husband) a huge box of complimentary teas simply because he posted a Tweet about Adagio. The company even included a handwritten thank you to Kevin showing their appreciation for his social marketing.

Anyone else out there have a great example of how social media has impacted his or her life? Feel free to share!

We live in an age of finding love on the internet, new businesses through discounted coupons, and other ways of discovering new adventures all through the Web. I am so pumped to see what the coming decade holds for the future of social media.

1 comment:

  1. THRIFTY THREADS!

    Our fashion blog helped me out so much when I was looking for a new gig in NYC. The post for my current position stated that fashion experience was preferred, so I included Thrifty Threads in my cover letter and the two men I interviewed with loved it. Now my main account (for which I do social media marketing exclusively) is fashion retail.

    Needless to say, I live and breathe social media.

    ReplyDelete