Monday, December 6, 2010

Mi Amore: Atlanta

Yesterday I watched the wonderful movie “The Last Time I Saw Paris” for the very first time. For those who haven’t seen this fabulous film from 1954 it stars Elizabeth Taylor and Van Johnson as a young couple, Helen and Charles, who meet in Paris shortly after World War II ends. She’s an heiress and he’s a struggling writer who decide to get married and stay in Paris. The film follows 7 years of their relationship and the way the Parisian lifestyle impacts their relationship.
At one point in the film, Helen says this terrific line that’s stuck with me for the entire day:
I`m sick to death of death. I want to enjoy things, have fun, live every day like it`s the last day. Wouldn`t that be nice, a lifetime full of last days?
To live everyday like it’s the last day is the new attitude I’ve taken to life in Atlanta.
Atlanta and I lead an interesting relationship. When I first moved to Georgia in 1996 as an anguished 11-year old I couldn’t wait to hightail it back to Washington D.C. or North Carolina. Those were the two places in the world that felt like home.
Fourteen years later a lot has changed. I rarely make it back to either D.C. or NC, and if I do it’s usually for a short stint. Atlanta has become my home. It took a few years to really fall in love with this fair city – but now I’m head over heels.
The past month in particular has been the pinnacle of my relationship with Atlanta. A lot of exciting things have happened and they may not have come to fruition if I’d been in any other city in the world.
November and December have been filled with parties, charity events, and fun times with some of the best people in the world. Getting married in October I thought it would be my favorite month of 2010 but November surprised me with all sorts of goodness and December is shaping up well.
Here’s a quick recap of the fabulousness over the past five weeks:
AutoTrader.com STAR Graduation (look for my post later this week on my STAR withdraws)
Volunteered at Project Open Hand, a fantastic organization that provides thousands of meals a day to Atlantans who are unable to feed themselves – check them out at www.projectopenhand.org
First Thanksgiving with my hubby in our new home and we got to tailgate in Athens for UGA vs. Tech. Another reason I love Atlanta: on a good day it’s only an hour’s drive back to my Dream Bubble of Goodness.
Moved into the 10th floor of AutoTrader.com’s beautiful new building and my commute is still less than 10 minutes. I really love where I work and play in Atlanta.
Celebrated the engagement of a coworker at the swanky new restaurant 3 Sheets, and if you’re looking for a great date night or party spot, check it out at www.threesheetsatlanta.com
Volunteered at the Atlanta Christmas House at the fabulous Mansion on Peachtree’s - this project totally got me in the holiday spirit. If you have a chance definitely visit the amazing penthouses on the 41st floor which was decked out for Christmas. All proceeds benefit the Alliance Theatre http://www.atlantachristmashouse.com/
Amazing days and nights out on the town with my family and friends: this weekend we checked out a new restaurant called Goin’ Coastal down in the Highlands http://www.goincoastalseafood.com/. It’s the first sustainable seafood restaurant in Atlanta and the people there were so nice.
Saw the Cirque du Soleil production of Ovo http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ovo/default.aspx. This was by far and away the best theatrical production I’ve ever seen.
Volunteered with the Salvation Army by  sponsoring a 5-year old girl (who only asked for underclothes, a school outfit, shoes and a tea set for Christmas!) and then helped AutoTrader.com load bags of toys for needy kids onto freight trucks. I’ll be working on this project again next week down at their warehouse which holds gifts for more than 10,000 children in the Metro Atlanta area. These kids wouldn’t have a Christmas if it wasn’t for the generosity of strangers. If you’d like to help this amazing cause and give a kid in Atlanta a Christmas check out this link: http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_atlanta.nsf/vw-text-dynamic-arrays/3B877148F900331C85257558005DF298?openDocument&charset=utf-8
Back to “The Last Time I Saw Paris” if we live every, single day like it’s the last day we have we could discover something new and exciting. I also really enjoy discovering ways I can help make a better life for other Atlantans. November was a month of a lot of firsts for me and I can’t wait to discover what December holds.
Wherever you are in the world, dear reader, I hope you and your city can have such a loving relationship.




 

1 comment:

  1. I think this city sounds wonderful :). Especially having such wonderful and amazing people like Lauren. By the way, I loved three sheets, thank you for a wonderful night of drinks, we must d my bachelorette party there :)

    ReplyDelete