Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kate & Will - A Historical Romance

Readers, I had the weirdest dream on Sunday night. I dreamed I was invited to Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding. It was one of the most visceral dreams I've ever had, and when I woke up on Monday I spent a few hours writing down what I could remember.

On the advice of my handsome husband I'm going to turn my wild dream into a historical romance. The story follows our heroine, Cameron, as she arrives for Kate & Will's wedding. Cameron and Will met at a pub in London one summer when some of Will's friends attempted to hit on her friends. Cameron had a boyfriend at the time (now her husband) and Will had a girlfriend (who we later find out is Kate).

Will and Cameron stay in touch as pen pals. They discover they are able to confide each other because they both lost a parent at a young age. Cameron's father was a senator who died of a heart attack. Her mother (Jackie) quickly remarried then Husband  No. 2 died merely months later. While her mother retreated to Manhattan to immerse herself in work it left Cameron alone to essentially raise herself.

When Cameron meets Will for the first time, she pretends not to recognize him in hopes of getting to know him better. Secretly she had always identified with him and over pints of beer Will and Cameron quickly establish a friendship.

The story begins with Cameron as she arrives for Will and Kate's wedding. I'm still working on the introduction, and the reunion scene with Cameron and William, plus when Cameron gets to meet Kate Middleton.

One of the most vivid parts of my dream was when the heroine met another wedding guest, Barbara de Tocqueville -- I kid you not, this was the young lady's name in my dream. This is what I get for drinking wine at MaryAnn's birthday party, followed by a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese.

After Cameron's terse encounter with de Tocqueville she runs into the same group of Will's friends who had hit on her friends during study abroad. This was another insane part of my dream that I could see so clearly: the luxrious hallway of the home the wedding guests were staying at, what all the guys were wearing, etc. Seriously I need to eat McDonald's before bed more often.

Here is the scene with Cameron and Miss de Tocqueville as they prepare for the first night of wedding festivities, followed by Cameron's run-in with Will's friends. Please let me know your thoughts, edits and suggestions for moving forward with the story!

-------------------------------------------

Cameron could feel the Girl-in-Green’s eyes examining her. Cameron looked at her in the mirror and caught the girl’s gaze. She had brown hair, pulled neatly back into a bun, adorned with sparkling diamonds resembling stars. Her deep green cocktail dress was cut across her chest revealing her attractive collar bone. The emerald fabric flowed down to her calves. On her feet were the most adorable silver peeky-toe heels.
“You’re not wearing that out are you?” the Girl-in-Green asked raising an eyebrow.

“Oh heavens no,” Cameron said brushing out her curls. “It’s just my getting ready frock since I can take it off without messing up my hair.”
“Clever,” the Girl-in-Green replied. “Are you going to be ready in time?”
“Goodness I have to be,” she said. “It’s been a busy day since our flight landed here this afternoon.”
“Where did you come from?” The girl in green asked intently watching Cameron in the mirror.
“Washington D.C. My mother took the train in from New York yesterday afternoon, we took the red eye from D.C. to Heathrow and it took forever to get through the increased security with the wedding.”
“It’s nice to hear Parliament actually authorized increased security at the airports,” Barbara said. “We’ve all been on edge about the threat of a terrorist attack on such a happy occasion.” She still continued to look peculiarly at Cameron.
“Yes, we’re all hoping for the best,” Cameron said applying her mascara.
“I’m Barbara de Tocqueville,” the Girl-in-Green said “Our family is good friends with the Middletons. And you are?”
“Cameron Keener, or, Frasier. I just got married last month.” Barbara’s eyes immediately landed on Cameron’s diamond ring. Her brown eyes widened at the sight of the stone.
“Congratulations,” she replied coldly, trying to hide her amazement. “How do you know Kate and Will?”
“Will and I met one summer when I was studying abroad. We kept in touch through the years, and I invited him to my wedding but he couldn’t make it. When he invited me to it happened to be at the right time. I’m here with my mother since my husband couldn’t make it.”
“What would be so important your husband couldn’t attend the marriage of the 21st century?”
“It's his work. He just didn’t want to be overseas during the initial launch phases.”
“And some job is more important than the marriage of the prince of England?” Barbara asked drumming her nails on the counter.
“To him,” Cameron said with a smile.
“Well, I better be off, I don’t want to miss the car,” Barbara announced turning on her heel. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Cameron. I look forward to getting to know you better in the coming days.”
“You as well, Miss de Tocqueville.”
With that, Barbara exited the ladies lounge. Cameron gave herself another once over in the mirror, content with the results. She darted out of the lounge and started to briskly walk down the corridor. 
Cameron rounded the corner and bumped into a group of young men. There were at least eight guys, all laughing in sport coats and suits. She realized it’s a group of William’s friends, leaving the house for the nearby pub Will had mentioned.
She recognized one from the pack almost immediately. He was a handsome young man with dark brown hair. His curly hair flopped down around his ears. A scruffy beard formed around his chin then swooped up his jaw line to a pair of light blue eyes. His blue eyes matched the light blue linen shirt under his blue blazer.
“Whoa, madam.” One of the guys from the pack shouted. “No running in the halls.” The rest of the guys laughed. Curly Brown Hair and Blue Eyes started to chuckle as well.
Then his eyes searched Cameron’s for a second. He gasped. “Cameron Keener!”
“Hello, Maximillian,” she replied breaking into a grin.
“My God it’s good to see you,” he shouted. “Charlie, Phillip, come here. It’s Cameron from America.”
Two men emerged next to Cameron. There was Charlie, looking much more sober since the last time she’d seen him. His honey color hair was spiked with gel, his brown eyes shining. Charlie didn’t have quite as many freckles as he did that summer but he still had that same mischievous look about him. Phillip was clearly intoxicated. His black hair fell loosely across his face and his brown eyes couldn’t quite focus on her.
“Cameron,” Charlie cried pulling her into a hug. “Bloody good to see you, girl. Didn’t I see on Facebook that you got married?”
“Correct, Charlie, it’s great to see you too. And Facebook also told me you’re in a relationship.”
“Indeed I am. You’ll meet her soon if you haven’t already," he beamed.
“Meet us later,” Maximillian chimed. “Will probably told you we’ll be at the Rose and Crown this evening, right?”
“He did.”
“Where are you going?” Phillip finally spoke, moreover slurred.
“My mother has friends to meet for dinner. Some old professors of hers live in London and she wants to introduce me to them.”
“Sounds dreadful,” Phillip slurred.
“Meet us later, okay?” Charlie pressed.
“I shall try.” Cameron said, side stepping the crew. And she took off walking at a quick pace down the hall.
“Have fun Cameron Keener,” Maximillian shouted. The pack of guys laughed and their echo rang down the hall. Cameron flew into her room where Jackie was waiting.
“Took you long enough,” her mother quipped. “We’re going to be late for our reservation.”
“I’m sorry Mom, but I bumped into Will’s friends.”
“The ones who Jessica and Katy hooked up with?”
“The very same.”
“Oh, goodness, that must have been interesting,” Jackie said handing Cameron her dress. “Please put this on darling, we really have to go.”
“Jeesh, okay.” Cameron replied unbuttoning her dress.

That's it for now. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment