Monday, November 15, 2010

Chapter 1 - the beginning

It's official! I, the newly-minted Lauren Patrick, have started my very first blog. With the utmost sincerity I hope to update this blog every day with articles, reviews, and excerpts from my first novel.

As the wedding craziness has finally settled I've finally had the chance to get back to my true passion: writing. My dear husband has encouraged me to keep up with my pledge to write 175 pages by the end of November. So far I've got more than 100 pages of content, with Chapter 1 at 39 pages and ready for editorial review.

This week I'll start posting excerpts from the novel for you, dear reader, to critique, praise, bash, or whatever have you in the interest of making this novel the multi-million dollar franchise I believe it can become.

For now, I'd like to start by writing what has to be one of the funniest text conversations I've ever had. This conversation took place between myself and former colleague PT this past Saturday. I was at a wedding, and PT was at home with our mutual friend Alec Wooden watching the Georgia @ Auburn game.

As a true SEC football fan I never would have gotten married on a Saturday during football season; which is why husband and I wed on a Sunday. Thankfully, we have wonderful technology that allows one to get sports updates while in a church (sorry Jesus, but you love Bulldog football too).

Editor's note: This conversation does include profanity that was kept in for the purpose of protecting the author's original intent, and for the sake of posterity.

PT: Where are you watching the game today?
Lauren Patrick: Nowhere. Heading to Charlotte. You?
PT: Watching it at my place with Alec Wooden.
Lauren Patrick: Fun times. How's life?
PT: Life is busy as usual. Got into it with Emily a few nights ago and finally got to have insane make up sex last night.
PT: What's in Charlotte?
Lauren Patrick: Glad you made nice with Emily. Please tell Alec I said nice job with Insite magazine. We're going to a wedding in Charlotte.
PT: He and I will probably be roommates next year.
Lauren Patrick: Cool. Can you text me updates on the game since we'll be at the wedding?
PT: Haha, sure thing.
At about 4 p.m. when I was heading to the wedding and needing a game update:
Lauren Patrick: How's it going?
PT: Still a lot of game left but damn we look good
PT: 21-14
PT: Still 21-14. Georgia's ball. 7:30 left in the second quarter
PT: 21-21. 00:51 left before halftime. Dawgs receive after.
Lauren Patrick: This is why we got married on a Sunday during football season.
PT: Haha one of the many reasons I love you. Alec is flipping out. Wish you and KP could be here. It's a riot.
PT: Got fucked by bad calls. 21-28. God dammit.
PT: Touchdooooown Georgia! 28-28!
PT: 28-35. My heart can't take this.
PT: 31-35
PT: 31-42. FUUUUUUCK!
PT: 2:50 left. Auburn on the goal line. 31-42. Damn near impossible to win but unranked vs. #2, we played our hearts out.
Lauren Patrick: Tomorrow i am writing down all these texts and documenting them as the epitmoe of how to experience the heartbreak of an SEC game. Thanks for the great sports writing.
PT: Haha. Hope you guys are having fun. Can't wait for next weekend. Let me know if/where you and kp plan to stay. Haven't picked a hotel myself.
Lauren Patrick: Here's our predicament, it's Mandy's birthday next weekend so we need to be with her and she's coming home to Atlanta.
PT: Do what you gotta do. I understand.
Lauren Patrick: We love you PT!
PT: I love you guys too. Tell KP I wish Tech the best of luck. We'll see which UGA team shows up to play. Lost today but I'm still proud of how well we held our own against a truly great team.

No comments:

Post a Comment